Friday, December 7, 2012

Child of the Sea

Last night around 3:30 am, I had an interesting experience. At first I considered it a dream, but now I believe it was something more like a premonition. There I was alone in my apartment, my son (Hamish) was spending the night at my folk's place. I had been dreaming about a secret closet I found at my grandparent's house when, for no reason, I drifted awake and heard a loud crash in my son's bedroom. I was puzzled and a little frightened; Hamish wasn't home so what caused the noise? At first, my imagination made it out to be a burglar. That assumption was quickly put to rest when I heard soft pitter-patters on the carpet, like tiny feet walking out of Hamish's room towards mine. I happened to react by drawing the covers up to my chin and squinting my eyes, as if I were asleep (a habit from childhood). The footsteps paused at my bedroom door for a few heartbeats, then continued in and up towards the head of my mattress. The entity stopped there, hovering next to my pillow. I un-squinted my eyes a bit more to see if I saw anything, but just as I expected, I didn't. Next, I opened my mind and saw a small boy that looked very much like Hamish. He turned and looked at me. Without so much as a thought in my head, my tongue formed the muttered the name Hadrian, as if I knew his name all along. While "in mind" (like astral projection, the mind leaves the body to interact with different planes of existence), I took the child into my arms and hugged him. 

I was baffled earlier this morning, but came to the conclusion that this small boy was Hamish's future brother by the name of Hadrian. He looked like my son, the family resemblance was there, however Hadrian's hair was black (or dark brown). I investigated the name online, only knowing it was the name of the architect who built Hadrian's Wall in Britain. There were other meanings of the name in different languages. In Scandinavia, it means "black earth" or "dark one", in Sweden it means "dark" and in Latin "man from the sea, as in the Adriatic". I wonder if "black earth" could be in reference to sediment at the bottom of the ocean. Names do have a tendency to be related in one way or another.

Perhaps I am getting a glimpse of my future, I may have another son in the coming years. This amuses me to no end. I've always dreamed and wished for a daughter, but it seems I may be destined for sons.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hadrian was also one of the 5 good emperors of Rome, he had the wall built.

Siobhán Marie said...

You are correct good sir or madame!

Adrienne Brown said...

I've always thought Hadrian sounded very close to my name, which does mean "dark, rich, and artful." :)